ARM sinus lookup tables 5x faster than math.h - TM4C123GXL Cortex M4F

Lately, I was working with IIR filter so in CMSIS repo I saw look-up table with sinus value. I was wondering how much faster it works then math.h sinus function.

The name of the function which uses a lookup table is arm_sin_f32() which is part of arm_math.h

Lets first compare results calculated with the lookup table and math.h sin function. Result2 are from the lookup table (arm_sin_f32() -> arm_math.h) and result1 are from sinus function (sin() -> math.h).




From results is seen that after decimal point 4-5 digits are similar so take care with that. 

I have done an iteration of 100 000 calculation and I was measuring the time needed for math.h sin and got 9726 [ms], and for arm_math.h 2006 [ms] which is almost 5x time faster. 




In the photo below I added sinus wave for both calculations. Blue is result1 and red is result2. You can see they overlap. 



You can check the code on the link

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AUTOSAR and CRC calculation

Flashing/debugging/running code at external memory in the memory-mapped mode

Debugging EK-TM4C123GXL with Visual Studio Code on Linux